Visiting Edinburgh

During my Erasmus year I was lucky enough to be able to visit EDINBURGH, the capital of Scotland. Second largest city in the country (after Glasgow), the city is easy to visit in 1 day but I recommend you to spend a weekend there so you can take your time and not feel rushed. 

Edinburgh is easily accessible from Glasgow. Just go to Buchanan Bus Station and take the bus to the capital. The return journey will cost £10 and you will arrive in 1 hour. 



Here is what I recommend you do in Edinburgh:



Edinburgh Castle
It is one of the most impressive castles in Scotland. Located on an ancient volcano, it dominates the city from above. Today it's a historical museum, whose interior can be visited,  but it served as a royal residence and military base. To save you a long wait you can buy your tickets here in advance.






Princes Street/ Princes Street Gardens
After touring the Old Town, you just have to cross a bridge to find yourself in the New Town. On this shopping street you will find a multitude of shops. I also recommend you take a tour through the Princes Street Gardens which offers a beautiful view of the castle. 






Walking down the Royal Mile
This is the main street of the Old Town, starting at Edinburgh Castle and ending at Holyrood Palace. All along this street you will find monuments (Saint Gile's Cathedral), museums and various attractions (The Real Mary King's Close). It is an extremely touristic part of the city. I also recommend you get lost in its small perpendicular streets...





In the perpendicular streets...





Greyfriars Kirkyard Cemetery
Often appreciated by the most daring tourists, it is considered the most haunted cemetery in the WORLD! Located in the Grassmarket district, this picturesque cemetery can also be visited by ghost story lovers at nightfall.








Saint Gile's Cathedral
As said before, it is located in the Old Town, you won't be able to miss it going down the Royal Mile. It's the oldest religious building in Edinburgh with typical Scottish architecture. Admission is free. 





Eating traditional Scottish dishes
Once you have visited the Old Town or the Cemetery you can easily find a place to have lunch/dinner or a drink in a relaxed atmosphere. I recommend the Greyfriars Bobby which is a traditional restaurant next to the Greyfriars cemetery. 




I hope you'll enjoy this trip as much as I did! 

NOW discover my article about 10 things to do in Glasgow here



Commentaires